Orientation for Ohlone College's Umoja Scholars Program -
Welcome to Cerro Coso College
What is Umoja?
The Umoja learning community at Cerro Coso Community College is open to ALL students and is specifically designed to increase the retention and success rates as well as the graduation and transfer rates of African ancestry students.
Umoja (a Kiswahili word meaning unity) is a community dedicated to enhancing the cultural and educational experiences of African American and other students. We believe that when the voices and histories of students are deliberately and intentionally recognized, the opportunity for self-efficacy (self-belief) emerges and a foundation is formed for academic success.
With emphasis on topics relevant to the African American experience, the curriculum focuses on improving reading, writing, self-discipline and critical thinking skills. Program counselors also provide assistance with the personal issues that often hinder African American students in an educational setting. The Umoja program is a "family" in which we help and take care of each other in the new experience of learning to navigate college and becoming successful in education.
Benefits of Participating in the Umoja Program
- Strong support system and personal attention by counselors and instructors
- Integrated instruction from caring faculty
- Peer tutoring/supplemental instruction tutoring
- Motivational/cultural workshops and university tours
- Book Loan Program
- Mentorship with campus faculty/staff and community members
- Create sacred spaces for learning, teaching, character development and digital literacy
- Enhanced educational experiences through historical, cultural and socio-political ideas from an African/African American and Multi-Cultural perspective
For more information, visit our website.