Orientation for Ohlone College's Umoja Scholars Program -
Welcome to Mira Costa College
Umoja, (a Kiswahili word meaning unity) is committed to enhancing the cultural and educational experiences and increasing the persistence and retention rates of African American and other students. Our Umoja community actively serves and promotes success for all students through a curriculum responsive to the legacy of the African and African American Diasporas. The Umoja Community seeks to educate the whole student–mind, body, and spirit. Informed by an ethic of love and its vital power, Umoja will deliberately engage students as full participants in the construction of knowledge and critical thought.
Sawubona (Zulu word meaning “We see you!”)
It is my privilege to introduce you to the Umoja Program at MiraCosta College which is part of the statewide Umoja Community. Umoja is focused on the transfer success, cultural and academic development of African American and other students. We invite you to become a part of our unique community where you will be encouraged, nurtured, and afforded amazing growth opportunities as a full participant in Umoja. We are a family and would love the opportunity to guide you through the transfer process as you pursue your goals and dreams.
- Learn what it takes to succeed in college and in life, along with making new friends to start college.
- Opportunity to attend Umoja sponsored conferences and regional symposia
- Career, academic, and personal counseling.
- Peer Mentoring
- University visits
- Cultural Experiences
- Opportunity to develop leadership skills in a supportive environment
- Access to Umoja Community scholarships (MiraCosta and statewide)
- Take part in curriculum and teaching practices that empower and increase self-efficacy
For more information, visit our website.